Badger Pond Shop Tours
A Tour of John Weber's Shop
 
Click on a small image to view a larger image
 

Shop Remodel

When I started building the shop I reinforced the ceiling, added insulation, rewired everything and added a 100 Amp sub panel and outlets everywhere. I wanted to panel the walls but ran out of money, so I put the shop in operation. As time went on the uninsulated garage door was adding to our heating bills, and the walls became more and more cluttered. This summer, after several years, I decided it was time to finish the job and do it right.

The shop is a single car garage about 14' x 21'. The plan started with the paneling. I used 1"x8" v-notch carsiding, mixed #2 and #3 grade pine, the proverbial knotty pine. To panel the shop required, furring walls, adding rigid foam insulation, and electrical box extenders. Simple enough scope of work. Well, the more I looked at the 1/4" plywood ceiling, it needed to be painted - so, first paint the ceiling. I also trimmed all the ceiling seams with 1"x4" pine to give it a finished look. Okay, on with the paneling. I prefinished the first coat of sealer using Deft. Great idea but brushing 75 pieces of paneling and about another 75 pieces of trim is a real pain.

Anyway, as the paneling was going up it looked great, however the old garage door (uninsulated) need to be replaced - so I added that to the list. With the ceiling a bright white, the old light fixtures looked dingy - add sand and paint light fixtures to the list. With all the newly painted surfaces the old stucco wall was really looking bad. I didn't want to paint it because of all the electrical conduit and dust collection hose hanging on it, but this was the time. Painting stucco with a brush is a real PITA x 2 coats.

Everything was really coming together, newly painted cabinets, new workbench, new door, etc... but that floor. The floor had the typical oil stains, glue, cracks, etc... Time for the super industrial epoxy paint. I patched the cracks with epoxy crack repair, degreased the floor, etched the floor, and after using twice as much paint as I thought I needed, had a great floor finish. I can't say enough how pleased I am with the floor. Looks great and is much easier to clean.

I think that covers most of the project. I still need to paint my power tool cabinet, and finish the bench base. After several months without a shop it is good to be back. I also was able to add a Bostitch finish nailer to the tool collection with this project.

Thanks for looking.

On with the Remodel:

The first picture is the northeast corner. I've tried to keep stuff off the walls and ceiling to have a less cluttered appearance. So far I've found homes for everything and have been very pleased with the level of brightness by having a white ceiling and lighter walls. I switched the edge sander and band saw and have been very pleased with that change as well. It is hard to tell from the pictures but the windows were really rough before - trimming them out gave the shop a much more finished look.

Before:

northeast corner of the shop; before


After:

northeast corner of the shop; after

northeast corner of the shop; after

This is the southeast corner, everything is basically in the same place as before. I had a 4'x8' pegboard I was going to trash, but Kim though I should keep it (I made it a long time ago in Tennessee). I cut it down in to three smaller sections and it has worked out great. I also relocated the brown cabinet to house some of the items from the pegboard. We went for a top row of windows in the garage door for a little more security. After I pay off this door I plan to replace the door on the two car garage. The After picture also gives a good look at the floor. Again, I have been extremely pleased with the epoxy floor coating.

Before:

southeast corner of the shop; before


After:

southeast corner of the shop; after

This is the west wall and my bench. The biggest changes took place here. The built in bowling alley bench was pulled out. It was a nice idea, made up of 4 sections, it was solid, had an outlet strip on the front, and I liked the height. But it took up too much room and wasn't very good for hand work. The new wall consist of a utility bench over the compressor for my CMS and woodworking bench. Everything is still tight. The band saw needs to roll forward for use and access the cabinet behind it, and the tail vise needs more room for better operation. After I build the bench base I can better locate it.

Before:

west wall of the shop; before


After:

west wall of the shop; after

I learned a lot of construction and finishing tips, I really enjoyed this project and am glad I was able to do it. Now the shop is more enjoyable than ever, but Kim is really on me for projects...

Like the workbench

headon view of the workbench

oblique view of the workbench

Thanks for checking out my remodeling project -

John

Originally posted 29 July 1999

Remodel never posted on the Pond

wb 21 June 2001